Softeners are supplied in different shapes and sizes. All have a tank to hold the resin through which the water is passed to soften it. They have a tank to store and dissolve the salt for the regenerating brine. Softeners regenerate automatically, this can determined different ways – some are fitted with a timer and some regenerate after a preset volume of water has been treated.
Because they actually remove almost all of the calcium and magnesium, they are very effective in:
- Preventing scale in the hot water system and around taps
- Removing existing scale
- Reducing boiler fuel cost and heating system maintenance costs
- Preventing soap scum, which is evident around the bath and sink
- Improving the texture of laundry by preventing detergent scum deposits within the fibres of clothes, bedding, etc.
- Reducing soap and detergent costs